Friday 9.25.15 – Some “why’s” on the Push Jerk
Strength: Push Jerk 3-3-3-3-3
Why the Push Jerk? It is a movement that develops full-body power involving a triple extension of the hips, knees and ankles. In addition to helping you get powerful, the exercise also improves:
– Hip Stability: The ability to contract and stabilize the hips after full extension.
– Core Strength: A strong and stable core efficiently transfers power from your lower to your upper body while protecting your spine.
– Shoulder Stability: Your small shoulder stabilizer muscles engage to balance and catch the bar overhead, strengthening these muscles and protecting your joints.
– Work Capacity: Moving weight with your entire body is not easy. Every rep takes full effort. But it will improve your ability to call on your full power to move heavier objects easier.
Conditioning: Complete 20-15-10 reps of:
– Push Press (Performance: 155/105#, Fitness: 115/ 85#, Health: 95/55#)
– Kettlebell Swings (Performance: 53/35#+, Fitness: 44-53/ 26-35#, Health: Russian 44-53/26-35#)
– Pull Ups (Performance: Chest to Bar, Fitness: Kipping, Health: Ring Rows)