Thursday 2.11.16 – ditch the bands again
How to set up for a proper pull up. Beginning with the bottom or straight arm hang position, you first need to be able to firmly “set” your shoulder blades. Next is flexing both your arm – at the elbow – and your shoulder – pulling your elbow down. Finally the pull up finishes with a strong shoulder extension at the top, pulling your elbows slightly behind your back.
There is a major issue with using resistance bands to help yourself get that first pull-up. The problem is that the force helping you is not consistent. You get too much help at the bottom, and not enough help at the top. Some people acquire the pull up skill in spite of these issues, but far too many never make the transition to unassisted pull ups.
Skill: Strict Pull Ups 4 x max reps
Options for scaling pull ups (without bands):
– dead hangs – max time – retract scaps!
– partial pulls and holds at stopping point
– pull ups with feet supported
– ring rows
– partner assist – assist to ankles, only enough to get past sticking points
Conditioning: AMRAP in 10:00:
– 5 Power Cleans @ 75%-ish bodyweight (Health: 50%-ish bodyweight)
– 5 Right Arm Russian Kettlebell Swings (same weight)
– 5 Left Arm Russian Kettlebell Swings (same weight)
– 10 Goblet Box Step Ups (Same KB, choose box height)
– 75 Sit Ups (as hard as possible – weighted, warrior sit ups, anchored, etc)