Now we’re making a team! – Sun 2.05.17
Now we’re making a CrossFit Games Open Team! 0ur team consists of six men and two females. That is not yet enough to be considered a a full team yet! Everyone is welcome to join the team, but we need at least three women and three men! Where you guys at?
Here’s an article about the the rules for the Open, I’ll just post the new stuff. So anyone that’s on any performance enhancing drugs better start cycling off fast!
Both documents contain important information for the season, whether you’re competing in the Open for fun or hoping to advance to the Online Qualifier, Regionals or the Games. As you review the rules, you’ll notice the word “new” highlighted in red next to sections that have been added or modified in 2017. We’ve also highlighted a few noteworthy sections below.
Section 1.07 provides the age brackets for all age-group divisions, including the new Masters 35-39 Division.
1.07 – OPEN REGISTRATION – DIVISION SELECTION
An athlete’s competitive division will automatically be assigned based on their birthdate and birth sex. There are 18 divisions for individual competitors and one division for teams:
• Individual Men and Women
• Teenage Boys and Girls 14-15 (Born on or between 07/15/2001 and 02/27/2003) Note: Athletes in this division must be 14 years of age or older as of 02/27/2017 but not older than 15 as of 7/15/2017.
• Teenage Boys and Girls 16-17 (Born on or between 07/15/1999 and 07/14/2001)
• Masters Men and Women 35-39 (Born on or between 7/15/77 and 7/14/82)
• Masters Men and Women 40-44 (Born on or between 7/15/72 and 7/14/77)
• Masters Men and Women 45-49 (Born on or between 7/15/67 and 7/14/72)
• Masters Men and Women 50-54 (Born on or between 7/15/62 and 7/14/67)
• Masters Men and Women 55-59 (Born on or between 7/15/57 and 7/14/62)
• Masters Men and Women 60+ (Born on or before 7/14/57)
Section 1.33 explains the new scoring method for anyone who fails to post a score in an Open workout. Many will be happy to learn that while you get a “0” for that workout, you’ll maintain a ranking on the Leaderboard.
1.33 – CROSSFIT GAMES LEADERBOARD – SUBMITTED SCORES
In every division, if a registered athlete fails to submit a score for any reason (e.g., skips a workout, has a workout invalidated, cannot complete the stated minimum score or cannot complete a single repetition), they will receive a score of “0” for that workout and be ranked below all athletes who post a score (whether prescribed or scaled) for that workout. Athletes receiving a “0” score will maintain an overall rank on the Leaderboard and will be able to view their ranking in the specific workouts in which they post a score. Note: A score of “0” is not considered a valid score when assessing an athlete’s eligibility to advance with a team to Regionals or the Games.
WHO NEEDS VIDEO?
Section 2.02 states that athletes qualifying for Regionals need to submit videos before being invited. This section lists the number of athletes who receive an automatic request for videos following the conclusion of the Open. If you anticipate finishing near the top in your Open region, make sure you record your workouts!
2.02 – QUALIFYING FOR REGIONALS – SUBMITTING VIDEOS
By Open region, the following athletes will need to submit videos:
The top 25* men and women in Asia, Africa and Latin America
The top 35* men and women from Canada East, Canada West and all U.S. Open regions
The top 45* men and women from Australia and Europe
Section 4.15 announces that the prize purse for the CrossFit Games has increased again! This section lists what this year’s top performers will earn.
4.15 – GAMES – CASH PRIZES
Cash prizes will be awarded to the top performers. All cash prizes will be paid in U.S. dollars.
• Top Overall Finish – Individual Athletes (male and female):
First place: $285,000
Second place: $100,000
Third place: $70,000
Fourth place: $45,000
Fifth through eighth place: $30,000; $26,000; $24,000 and $22,000, respectively
Ninth through 20th place: $20,000; $18,000; $15,000; $13,000; $12,000; $11,000; $10,000; $9,000; $8,000; $7,000; $6,000 and $5,000, respectively
• Top Finish By Event – Individual Athletes (male and female)
First place: $3,000
Second place: $2,000
Third place: $1,000
• Top Overall Finish – Masters Athletes (male and female, per age division)
First place: $10,000
Second place: $5,000
Third place: $3,000
• Top Overall Finish – Teams (prize per team)
First place: $100,000
Second place: $60,000
Third place: $30,000
Fourth place: $20,000
Fifth place: $15,000
Good luck, and have fun!